Thursday, January 27, 2011

Trying something new

I have been following a friend's blog who is doing weekly meal plans. I started this too. It saves us money because we aren't going out to eat so much or doing last minute meal through the drive thru lanes. But with these weekly plans I am running out of things to make so I opened up some recipe magazines Bryan's great grandmother got me. Taste of Home: Cooking for 2

Last night I made and we tried: Reuben Casserole:
Ingredients: (I changed the amounts of the noodles and prepared mustard to my family's liking)
1 1/2 cups uncooked egg noodles
2/3 cup condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/3 cup milk
2 tbs chopped onion ( I used onion powder instead)
3/4 tsp prepared mustard ( did must more for more flavor)
1 can sauerkraut, rinsed, drained
1/2 lb of smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/2in slices
1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese ( I use mozzarella)
3 tbs soft whole wheat bread crumbs
1 1/2 teaspoons butter, melted



Preheat oven 350degrees
Cook noodles as read on pkg
In small bowl mix together soup, milk, onion, mustard set aside
Spread sauerkraut into a 1 qt baking dish coated with cooking spray
Drain noodles and layer over sauerkraut
Layer soup mixture over noodles
Then add kielbasa over soup mixture
Sprinkle with cheese
Finally finish off with bread crumbs and melted butter
Cook for 15/20 minutes


Bryan gave this meal 2 thumbs up. I must say I am not a big Reuben sandwich fan but I did like this. I was not crazy about the sauerkraut but since it was layered I did not have to eat if it I didn't want to!

Hope you enjoy

1 comment: